I was in three countries in one day. This may not sound very impressive but in South America, where nations are large and transportation slow, there are not many places where this is possible. Well, to make it better, I was actually in three countries in three hours.
Leticia is a Colombian city on the tri-border with Peru and Brazil and you can easily reach it from Iquitos with a two-day journey in Hammock-boat. After stamping out with the police in the village Santa Rosa on the Peruvian side, I took a little motorboat across the river to this remote Colombian city. It is not a very large city but larger than any place you will see for several days down the river. From Leticia, it’s possible to walk across to Tabatinga, the Brazilian settlement on the other side of the border. The most civilised place (and preferred by travellers) is however Leticia, where I too finally decided to stay after having had a quick peak on the miserable Brazilian side.
It wasn’t for long however; the hammock-boat to Manaus (5 days 4 nights) left only three times per week and as the tri-border didn’t quite fit my taste of entertainment (and I didn’t want to hang around for the next departure), I took the one leaving next day.
Leticia is a Colombian city on the tri-border with Peru and Brazil and you can easily reach it from Iquitos with a two-day journey in Hammock-boat. After stamping out with the police in the village Santa Rosa on the Peruvian side, I took a little motorboat across the river to this remote Colombian city. It is not a very large city but larger than any place you will see for several days down the river. From Leticia, it’s possible to walk across to Tabatinga, the Brazilian settlement on the other side of the border. The most civilised place (and preferred by travellers) is however Leticia, where I too finally decided to stay after having had a quick peak on the miserable Brazilian side.
It wasn’t for long however; the hammock-boat to Manaus (5 days 4 nights) left only three times per week and as the tri-border didn’t quite fit my taste of entertainment (and I didn’t want to hang around for the next departure), I took the one leaving next day.

No comments:
Post a Comment